I’ve noticed that the Vancouver Sun has been featuring a lot of articles on Road Pricing in Metro Vancouver this week. There’s been at least 6 articles in the past 4 days. It’s a big topic with the impending Massey Tunnel replacement and need to replace the Patullo Bridge at the forefront of the Minister of Transportation’s agenda. Also, the features are meant to coincide with SFU’s Centre for Dialogue’s Moving in Metro discussion.
For once, it felt like a mainstream media outlet was allowing for a civilized conversation around transportation issues instead of the sensationalized and over-worn “War on Cars” theme. All the articles are worth a read. I’ve listed all of them here below for your reading convenience.
- Pete McMartin, Vancouver Sun: The inequity of Metro Vancouver’s bridge tolls
- Gordon Price, SFU City Program: Road Pricing – what’s not to love?
- Claire Havens, SFU Centre for Dialogue: Road pricing has moved beyond transportation wars
- Michael Goldberg, UBC Sauder School for Business: Road pricing in Metro Vancouver makes sense
- Robert Paddon, TransLink: Rethinking transportation to create the communities we want
- Vancouver Sun Editorial: Road pricing could ease traffic woes